The Plum Island lighthouse
was constructed in 1827 and rebuilt in 1869 in the same style
as the Old Field and Block Island North lights. In 1997, the
genrator house fell into the sea as a result of erosion and
government neglect. In 2000 the USLHS began efforts to save
the lighthouse and began stabilizing the eroding bluff beneath
the lighthouse with rocks.