original light tower atop Turtle HIll at Montauk Point was authorized
by Congress in 1792, with construction begun in 1796. The tower
was lighted for the first time in 1979. The tower height was increased
to 110 feet to accept a 1st order Fresnel lens in 1860. A 3 1/2
order bivalve lens was installed and a brown stripe added to the
tower in 1903.